It has been observed that there is a wrong interpretation of edge in the pay scale of Defence Officers by few service Officers and by few blogs. It is pertinent to mention that CPMF / CPOs are always having civilian pay scales and thus indirect relativity always existed between CPMF / CPOs rank structure and of that of Defence Services Officers rank structure. The exact history of this edge is as follows :-
First Pay Commission
1. A post war pay committee was constituted after first pay commission.
2. It abolished few war related allowances and merged remaining with the pay.
3. It also established broad relativity of Defence Service Officers with class central services and IPS.
4. These recommendations was implemented w.e.f 01 Jul 1947.
Second Pay Commission
1. Raghuramaiah Committee Report on Defence Forces was given in 1960 after Second Pay Commission. The revision made by this committee broadly followed second pay commission and accepted parallal between defence officers and class I services and IPS
Third Pay Commission
1. The Third Pay Commission was the first to give recommendation on Defence Services pay scales. The committee stated that relativity exists between Police and Defence and not between and IAS and Defence Services on pay scales.
2. The pay commission discontinued the Special Disturbance Allowance granted in 1950 as a special identity and merged this allowance with the pay scale of Defence Services. That's how the slight edge in pay scale of Defence Serivce officers over other serivce started.
Fourth Pay Commission
As requested by Defence Services the pay commission recommend a running pay scale upto Brigadier / equivalent and rank pay. The commission kept Major General in SAG pay scale of 5900-6700
Fifth Pay Commission
The service headquarters recommended two running pay scales
(a) Till the post of Colonel
(b) Brigadier to Lt. General
The pay commission did not agree to the running pay scale and recommended different pay scale for each rank with slight edge and rank pay.
What was this edge ?
Special Disturbance Allowance merged with the basic pay was this edge. This was not increase in the status but only monetary compensation to the hardship of Military life.
(a) This edge was Rs. 50/- to 300/- in various ranks of Service Officers in Third Pay Commission
(b) Rs. 100/- + Rank pay of various ranks by Fourth Pay Commission
(c) Rs. 250/- + Rank Pay by Fifth Pay Commission
(d) The Sixth Pay Commission maintained this edge by recommending MSP of Rs. 6000/- to Officers as an allowance and removed the edge in the Basic Pay Scale which was merged earlier by Third Pay Commission (merger of Special Disturbance Allowance in basic pay).
In last 35 years, since Third Pay Commission Defence Sservice Officers mistook this edge as increase in their status and started compairing various officers rank with one to two civil ranks. When the Sixth Pay Commission, as requested by Service Headquarters, placed again the Service Officers in their equivallent civil pay scales the service officers mistook it with lowering of status which was not the case.
I have given the complete history of this edge it is upto various service officers / CPMFs / CPOs / Civil Officers to judge this history. Moreover, most of the pay commissions are authored by prominent judges and we are too small to judge their decisions.